Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 19:42
Serving Size:1/2 cup
- 1 medium zucchini (about 1 1/2 cups after cutting)
- 1 large carrot (about 1 1/2 cups after cutting)
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil (or use cooking spray)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon pepper, dash salt
- Wash hands.
- Wash zucchini and peel carrot; cut off ends. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini and carrot into ribbons by moving the peeler back and forth.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (Or lightly coat pan with cooking spray.)
- Add the vegetable ribbons, stir; cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender but not overcooked.
- Remove from heat, add pepper and salt, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Option: To make vegetable coins instead of ribbons, cut zucchini and carrot into thin slices. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan; cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes.
- To make vegetable coins instead of ribbons, cut zucchini and carrot into thin slices. Add ¼ cup water to the pan; cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes.
- Colorful. Low in calories. Fun to make and eat. What more could you want from a vegetable?
- Look for medium size fruit with skin that is shiny and free of pitting. It may look scratched, but shouldn’t have soft spots.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu