Tzatziki and Pita Chips
Ingredients for Tzatziki:
- 1 cucumber (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (peeled and minced)(about 1-2 cloves)
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill and/or fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for Homemade Pita Chips:
- 6 whole wheat pita bread pockets (6 1/2”)
- Olive oil or nonstick cooking spray
- Dried basil, parsley, garlic powder (optional)
- Use a spoon to scrape out seeds from cucumber. Dice the cucumber into small pieces or shred using a grater.
- Spread cucumber on paper towels on top of a clean kitchen towel. Roll up the towels and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Transfer dry cucumber to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Cover and refrigerate until served.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Split pitas in half. Separate pocket halves into those that are thicker and those that are thinner.
- Brush halves with olive oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with spices, if desired. Brush or spray again to help the spices stick.
- Cut each half into 4 pieces. Bake thin halves as one batch and thick halves as another batch.
- Bake 10-16 minutes. Watch closely so they do not burn.
- Cool and store in an airtight container. Keep 1-2 weeks.
- Serve the day after it is made for best flavor.
- Keep no more than 4 days in the refrigerator.