Tuna Melt Sandwich
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 08/06/2012 - 14:28
Serving Size:1 open face sandwich
Cost Per Serving:$3.50 for whole recipe / $0.88 per person
- 2 cans (6 ounces) tuna (canned in water), drained
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped (green or yellow)
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 tomato slices (1 medium tomato)
- 1/2 cup cheedar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In medium bowl, combine tuna, onion, mayonnaise, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Place bread on baking sheet.
- Spoon about 1/4 of the tuna mixture on each piece of bread. Spread mixutre nearly to the edges.
- Add a tomato slice.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese on top of each sandwich. Return to oven for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Experiment with other kinds of cheese.
- You can use any whole grain bread or split rolls.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu