Tasty Taco Rice Salad
Submitted by taylork on Tue, 04/09/2013 - 16:53
Serving Size:1 1/2 cups
Cost Per Serving:$1.07
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 seeded jalapeño (chopped finely)
- 2 cups spinach or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup 2% fat cheese, shredded
- Cook ground meat in a large skillet until brown (160° F). Drain off fat. Rinse meat with warm water to remove the grease.*
- Add rice, water, onion, and chili powder to meat in skillet.
- Cover. Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes to cook rice.
- Add tomatoes and jalapeño. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place layers of spinach or romaine lettuce, rice mixture, and cheese on plates. Serve at once.
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Mexican style tomatoes can be used instead of fresh tomatoes and jalapeño. This will increase the sodium.
- *Do not pour grease down the drain. Let grease harden, then put it in the trash.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu