Taco Rice Skillet
Submitted by taylork on Tue, 01/08/2013 - 14:21
Serving Size:1 1/2 cups
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped tomato
- 1 1/2 cups low fat shredded cheese (Colby, American, Cheddar, or Taco)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
Optional: Hot sauce, taco sauce, jalapeno pepper to taste
- Cook ground meat in a large skillet until brown. Rinse ground beef in a colander over a bowl to remove fat. Refrigerate the water with the ground beef fat to harden it. Spoon hardened fat into the trash.
- Add rice, water, onion, chili powder, and salt.
- Simmer over low heat until rice is cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Add lime juice, hot sauce, jalapeno pepper to taste.
- Serve on plates with lettuce on the bottom, taco rice mix in the middle, and cheese sprinkled on top.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- 1 medium size onion will yield about 1 cup chopped onion.
- 1 can of diced tomatoes may replace the 3 cups of chopped tomato.
- Canned tomatoes with seasonings (Mexican style) add additional flavor.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu