Sweet and Sour Rice
- 2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen stir-fry veggies
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup sweet and sour sauce (make your own or use prepared sauce)*
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks in 100% juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon ketchup
- For the sauce, mix the sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir in the water, soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup. Set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Remove stir-fry vegetables from freezer to thaw.
- Cut chicken into 3/4" pieces. Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook until done. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Add sauce ingredients to the skillet if you are making your own. Cook over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, or add the prepared sweet and sour sauce.
- Stir in the pineapple (undrained), vegetables, and chicken. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken and vegetable mixture on top of the rice.
- You can substitute 2 cups cooked chicken in this recipe.
- This recipe freezes well.