Sweet and Sour Rice
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 14:16
Serving Size:2/3 cup rice and 1 1/4 cup topping
Cost Per Serving:$1.26
- 16 ounces chicken (skinless, boneless)
- 1 bag (16-ounce) frozen stir-fry veggies
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups instant uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup sweet and sour sauce (make your own or use prepared sauce)*
- 1 can (8-ounce) pineapple chunks with juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon ketchup
- Cut chicken into 3/4 inch pieces. Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Remove stir-fry veggies from freezer to thaw.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook until done. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside. Set frying pan aside.
- Heat water for rice to boiling. Add rice. Let rice cook according to the package directions.
- Return skillet (used to cook chicken) to the stove. Add sauce ingredients from below*. Cook over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, or add the prepared sweet and sour sauce.
- Stir in the pineapple (undrained), vegetables, and chicken. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken and veggie mixture on top of the rice.
*Sweet and sour sauce: Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir in water, soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup. Set aside.
You can substitute 2 cups cooked chicken in this recipe. Just cook the sauce ingredients (step 6) and stir in the chicken and veggies. Cook for about 5 minutes to heat and serve over rice.
- You can substitute 2 cups cooked chicken in this recipe.
- This recipe freezes well.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's