Supreme Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 14:02
Serving Size:1 open-face sandwich
Cost Per Serving:$.86
- 1 cup peppers, red, yellow, or green (1 medium)
- 1/2 onion
- 4 slices (about 8 ounces) whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons light mayo or salad dressing
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup rinsed spinach leaves
- 4 slices (3/4 ounce each) mozzarella cheese
- Slice onion and pepper very thin.
- Lay out 4 slices of bread and spread with the mayo.
- Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Add in layers the spinach leaves, peppers, onions, and a slice of cheese.
- Heat a skillet to medium low. Spray with non-stick spray. Lay sandwiches in pan. Cover with plate, lid, or aluminum foil.
- Heat sandwiches until cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes) or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Other cheese can be used, but mozzarella is lower in fat and melts well.
Add other vegetables such as mushrooms or tomatoes.
- Open-face sandwiches deliver all of the good filling ingredients but less bread (and calories).
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's