Submitted by taylork on Wed, 01/01/2014 - 14:01
Serving Size:1/2 cup meat and 1 bun
Cost Per Serving:$.95
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped (about 1 rib of celery)
- 1/2 cup green or red pepper, chopped (about 1/2 large pepper)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 whole wheat buns
- Combine ground beef, onion, celery, and pepper in a medium skillet. Add water.
- Cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes. Stir as needed. Cook until beef mixture reaches at least 160°F.
- Put ground beef mixture in a colander set over a bowl. Pat mixture with paper towels and rinse with warm water to remove fat.*
- Return to skillet. Add ketchup, mustard, and sugar. Heat 5-10 minutes on low heat.
- Toast buns in an oven broiler, toaster oven, or skillet. To use a skillet, spread buns with margarine and place face side down in skillet. Cook over medium heat 1-2 minutes.
Prepare sandwiches by putting 1/2 cup of meat mixture on bottom of each bun and cover with top of bun.
- *Do not pour grease down the drain. Let grease harden, then put it in the trash.
- Use ground beef with a fat percentage you can afford. Some fat will be removed when beef is rinsed with water.
- Use diced or grated carrots in place of one of the vegetables.
- Make sloppy joe mixture ahead and freeze for a quick meal.
- Substituting tomato sauce for the ketchup reduces the sodium to 420 mg.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu