Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 19:22
Serving Size:1 cup
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 cups spaghetti or pasta sauce (26 to 28 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces wide noodles
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (12-ounce) container lowfat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional: fresh or canned, drained sliced mushrooms
- Wash hands.
- Cook ground beef, onions, and garlic together in a large skillet or electric fry pan; stir to prevent sticking. When ground beef has turned brown transfer mixture to a colander set over a bowl and rinse with hot water to remove grease. Return mixture to skillet.
- Add spaghetti sauce and water to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked noodles, stir, cover with lid, turn down the heat, and cook 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the thawed spinach with your clean hands to remove the juice and then stir into the pan. Add mushrooms if you like. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon cottage cheese over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, put the lid on and let it heat another 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and noodles are tender.
- This recipe tastes great as leftovers!
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu