Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 19:22
Serving Size:1 cup
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cups spaghetti or pasta sauce (24 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 package (10-ounce) chopped spinach, thawed
- Sliced mushrooms, fresh, or canned, drained (optional)
- 1 container (12 ounces) low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet or electric fry pan. Stir to prevent sticking. When ground beef has turned brown, transfer mixture to a colander set over a bowl and rinse with hot water to remove grease.* Return hamburger mixture to skillet.
- Add spaghetti sauce, garlic, and water to skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked noodles. Stir and cover with lid. Turn down the heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Add thawed spinach to the skillet. Add mushrooms if you like. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon cottage cheese over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Put the lid on and let it heat another 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and noodles are tender. For a pretty appearance do not stir the dish once cheese has melted.
- *Do not pour grease down the drain. Let grease harden, then put it in the trash.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu