Rice and Red Beans
Submitted by taylork on Tue, 01/08/2013 - 14:23
Serving Size:1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup vegetables and beans
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-15 ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cooked instant brown rice
- Place oil in large skillet and heat. Add onion and sauté until soft.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, green pepper, celery, and oregano.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Add a small amount of salt and pepper if desired.
- While the vegetables and beans are simmering, cook rice according to package directions.
- Spoon the vegetable and bean mixture over rice.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- If fresh tomatoes are not available, use a 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes with the liquid drained off.
- This recipe can be used as a main dish, side dish, or as a filling for tortillas.
- 2 cups uncooked rice when cooked will give about 4 cups cooked rice.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu