Rice and Red Beans
Submitted by taylork on Tue, 01/08/2013 - 14:23
Serving Size:1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup vegetables and beans
- 1/2 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely diced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) red beans (rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups instant brown rice, cooked
- Place oil in large skillet and heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, green pepper, celery, and oregano.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add beans and simmer. Stir mixture every once in a while until heated through.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Spoon the vegetable and bean mixture over rice.
- Use a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes (drained) if fresh tomatoes are not available.
- This recipe can be used as a main dish, side dish, or a filling for tortillas.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu