Pork Loin and Vegetables
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 14:14
Serving Size:3 ounces meat and 1 cup vegetables
Cost Per Serving:$1.10
- 2 cups onions (cut in wedges) (about 1/2 pound or 2 medium onions)
- 2 cups potatoes, diced (about 12 ounces or 2 medium)
- 2 cups baby carrots or 3/4 pound regular carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds pork loin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix vegetables with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Lay vegetables around the edge of a 9"x13" pan. Put in oven.
- Use a small bowl to make the rub. Mix the brown sugar, garlic, pepper, and salt in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the rub over the loin. Press gently so the rub sticks to the roast. Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the loin. Brown the sides of meat. Turn after about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pork to the center of the pan with vegetables. Bake for about 40 minutes. Check the temperature after 30 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven when meat thermometer reads 145ºF. Let set for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before slicing for safety and quality.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu