Pork Loin Roast with Veggies
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 14:14
Serving Size:3 ounces meat and 1 cup veggies
Cost Per Serving:$1.10
- 2 cups onions*, cut in wedges (about 1/2 pound or 2 medium onions)
- 2 cups potatoes*, diced (about 12 ounces or 2 medium)
- 2 cups baby carrots or 3/4 pound regular carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 lb pork loin
*Wash and cut potatoes and onion into chunks about the same size as baby carrots.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl mix veggies with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper.
- Lay veggies around the edge of a 9"x13" pan and put in oven.
- Use a small bowl to make the rub. Mix the brown sugar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the rub over the loin. Press gently so the rub sticks to the roast. Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the loin. Brown the sides of meat. Turn after about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pork to the center of the pan with veggies. Bake for about 40 minutes. A meat thermometer should read 145°F. Check the temperature after 30 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven. Let set for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Use a meat thermometer. Cooked pork can be pink even when the meat has reached a safe temperature.
- For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before slicing.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu