Pork Loin and Vegetables
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 14:14
Serving Size:3 ounces meat and 1 cup vegetables
Cost Per Serving:$1.10
- 2 cups onions (cut in wedges) (about 1/2 pound or 2 medium onions)
- 2 cups potatoes, diced (about 12 ounces or 2 medium)
- 2 cups baby carrots or 3/4 pound regular carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds pork loin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix vegetables with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Lay vegetables around the edge of a 9"x13" pan. Put in oven.
- Use a small bowl to make the rub. Mix the brown sugar, garlic, pepper, and salt in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the rub over the loin. Press gently so the rub sticks to the roast. Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the loin. Brown the sides of meat. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pork to the center of the pan with vegetables. Bake for about 40 minutes. Check the temperature after 30 minutes in the oven.
Remove from oven when meat thermometer reads 145ºF. Let set for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
Allow meat to rest for at least 3 minutes before slicing for safety and quality.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu