Pan Fried Tilapia with Orange Sauce
Submitted by taylork on Wed, 01/01/2014 - 13:24
Serving Size:1 fillet of fish (about 3 ounces)
Cost Per Serving:$1.44
- 4 small frozen tilapia fillets (about 1 pound total)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram or Italian seasoning
- Defrost and pat dry tilapia with paper towel.
- Put flour, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a plastic bag. Add fillets one at a time and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add fillets to skillet and fry until golden brown on one side (about 2 minutes). Turn fish over, sprinkle with marjoram or Italian seasoning, and finish browning (heat fish to at least 165°F).
- Heat orange for 10 seconds in microwave. Cut in half. Squeeze half the juice and pulp from the orange on the fish. Use the other half for garnish.
- Place fish on a platter. Scrape the pan juices on top of the fish to serve.
- Frozen fillets are about 1/4-inch thick. Thicker fillets would need to cook longer.
- Substitute other firm white fish like swai, domestic mahi-mahi, or halibut.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's