Old Fashioned Stuffing
Submitted by taylork on Tue, 01/08/2013 - 10:30
Serving Size:1/2 cup
- 8 cups dried whole wheat bread cubes
- 3 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms or one can mushrooms (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken or turkey broth or try Homemade Chicken Broth
- Toast bread cubes and set aside*
- Melt margarine or butter in a medium sized frying pan.
- Add celery and onion, cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add parsley, mushrooms, seasoning and broth. Cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add toasted bread cubes. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
*Bread cubes can be toasted by cutting 15-20 slices of bread into cubes, spreading the cubes evenly over a cookie sheet, and baking them in the oven until lightly browned.
- If the herbs or seasonings are not available, they do not need to be used, a small amount of salt and pepper can be used.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's