No Knead Whole Wheat Bread
Submitted by taylork on Wed, 01/01/2014 - 14:05
Serving Size:1 slice
Cost Per Serving:$.12
- Nonstick cooking spray or spread
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) nonfat milk, lukewarm (100-110°F)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) orange or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet instant yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose white flour
- Grease the sides and bottom of an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan with cooking spray or spread.
- Combine the lukewarm nonfat milk, juice, and honey in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Beat vigorously for 3 minutes. Dough will be very thick. Scoop the dough into prepared pan. Cover the pan with a clean towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 45-75 minutes, until almost double. Time varies according to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350º F when dough is almost doubled.
- Remove towel and bake bread for about 30 minutes. Dough will pull away from sides of pan when bread is done. Let bread cool 30 minutes before slicing.
- Make 2 smaller loaves using half sized loaf pans. Bake for 23-27 minutes.
- Make herb dinner rolls. Mix 4 teaspoons of dried herbs such as oregano, parsley, basil, rosemary, or thyme into the batter. Use muffin tins and bake 15 minutes.
- Make 100% whole wheat bread. Use 3 cups whole wheat flour instead of white and wheat flour and 3 tablespoons molasses instead of honey.
- Heat cold milk in microwave for 45-60 seconds for lukewarm temperature. Test a drop on the inside of your wrist. It should feel very warm but not hot.
- Keep whole wheat flour in refrigerator or freezer for storage. Bring flour to room temperature to make bread.
- Instant yeast is also called fast rising, rapid rise, quick rise, and bread machine yeast.
- 1 packet yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu