Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 13:58
Serving Size:1/6 of loaf
Cost Per Serving:$.88
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup carrots, grated (about 2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup dry quick oats
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
2 tablespoons brown sugar or white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix together the ground beef, onion, carrots, oats, milk, egg, pepper, salt, and 1/4 cup ketchup.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and place on broiler pan.* Bake for 50 minutes.
- Stir the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup and sugar in a small bowl.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and spread the sauce over the top and sides of meatloaf.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
*You can make a broiler pan by laying a wire cooling rack on top of a jellyroll pan or cake pan. Cover the wire rack with aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Poke holes in the aluminum foil so the meat juice can drain.
Mixing the meatloaf too much will make it tough.
Ground pork or ground turkey can be used in place of the ground beef. Cook ground pork to 160°F. Cook ground turkey to 165°F.
You can use 85% lean ground beef if you use a broiler plan with a rack so the grease can drain. Otherwise use 90% lean.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu