Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 13:58
Serving Size:1/6 of loaf
Cost Per Serving:$.88
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup dry quick oats
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided (1/4 cup in meatloaf and 1/4 cup in sauce)
2 tablespoons brown sugar or white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix together the ground beef, onion, carrots, oats, milk, egg, black pepper, salt, and 1/4 cup ketchup.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and place on broiler pan.*
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Stir the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup and sugar in a small bowl.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and spread the sauce over the top and sides of meatloaf.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
*You can make a broiler pan by laying a wire cooling rack on top of a jellyroll pan or cake pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Poke holes in the aluminum foil so the meat juice can drain.
- Mixing the meatloaf too much will make it tough.
- Ground pork or ground turkey can be used in place of the ground beef. Cook ground pork to 160°F. Cook ground turkey to 165°F.
- You can use 85% lean ground beef if you use a broiler plan with a rack so the grease can drain. Otherwise use 90% lean.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's