Submitted by taylork on Mon, 08/06/2012 - 14:34
Serving Size:1 wedge
Cost Per Serving:$3.09 for whole recipe / $0.77 per person
- 2 1/2 small zucchini (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper*, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic or 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1 hot pepper, chopped.
*If desired, substitute red, yellow, or orange bell pepper.
- Wash zucchini; trim and discard the ends. Cut each zucchini into 4 strips, then cut into 1/4-inch pieces. In a bowl, combine the zucchini, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and hot pepper, if desired.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- While the vegetables cook, stir the eggs, mozzarella, and parmesan together in a bowl.
- Shake the skillet to distribute the vegetables evenly. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and shake skillet again to help distribute the egg mixture. Put lid on pan and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until the egg on top is solid. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- To serve, loosen edges of frittata with spatula. Cut into 4 wedges. Serve immediately.
Menu Idea: Mexican frittata, salsa, whole wheat toast, milk
- Try substituting red, yellow, or orange bell pepper in this recipe to add color
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu