Mexican Chicken Soup
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 20:47
Serving Size:1 cup
Cost Per Serving:$.82
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes (Mexican-style)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn or 1 15-ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can sodium-reduced chicken broth or 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin (if desired), and pepper in large saucepan.
- Remove and discard any visible fat from chicken. Cut chicken into large chunks and add to the saucepan. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate; use forks to shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to soup.
- Serve with choice of garnishes, such as chopped cilantro, sliced or chopped avocado, light sour cream, shredded cheese or baked tortilla chips.
- One cup dried beans (black, kidney, garbanzo) can be substituted for the canned, if desired. Rinse the beans and soak overnight before adding to the large saucepan.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu