Mexican Chicken Soup
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 20:47
Serving Size:1 cup
Cost Per Serving:$.82
- 2 cans (15 ounces) diced tomatoes (Mexican-style)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups frozen corn or 1 can (15-ounces) corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) low sodium chicken broth OR 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Optional ingredients: baked tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, sliced or chopped avocado, light sour cream, shredded cheese
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin (if desired), and pepper in large saucepan.
- Remove and discard any visible fat from chicken. Cut chicken into large chunks and add to the saucepan. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer (covered) for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate. Use forks to shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to soup.
- Serve with choice of optional ingredients.
- One cup of cooked dried beans (black, kidney, garbanzo) can be substituted for the canned, if desired.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu