Loaded Potato Soup
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 20:26
Serving Size:1 cup
Cost Per Serving:$.67
- 4 Best Baked Potatoes or 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cooked
- 1 tablespoon tub margarine
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, or one 14.5-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- Optional garnishes: Sliced green onion, bacon bits, and/or shredded cheese
- Remove skins and mash potatoes into small pieces to make about 3 cups; set aside.
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and green pepper, if desired. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Stir in milk, potatoes, peas, and pepper; heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cheese slices, cooking and stirring about 2 minutes until cheese melts. Add more milk if soup is thicker than you prefer.
- Add garnishes, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Try this recipe with our best baked potatoes as the base.
- Using already-cooked potatoes means you can have this soup on the table and ready to eat in less than 15 minutes.
- Other frozen vegetables can be used instead of peas; try corn, broccoli or mixed vegetables.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's