It's a Meal Strata
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 20:45
Serving Size:1 4"x4" piece
Cost Per Serving:$.88
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 3 cups sliced or chopped vegetables
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 3-ounce package (or 1/2 of 8-ounce package) light cream cheese (also called Neufchatel), softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cubed day-old bread (about 1 slice)
- 1/3 cup cubed cooked ham
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the vegetables so they are about the same size.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat and pat the vegetables with paper towels to remove the moisture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in vegetables, bread, cubed ham, and pepper.
- Pour into a greased 8″x 8″ baking dish or small casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the egg mixture doesn’t jiggle.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle on the cheese and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Menu idea: It’s-A-Meal Strata, Banana or Blueberry Muffins, Orange or Banana Slices, Nonfat Milk
- Use whatever fresh or frozen vegetables you have available. Frozen vegetables should be thawed first.
- Putting the cheese on top lets you use less cheese, but still gives you a cheesy flavor and appearance.
- To reduce the amount of sodium, omit the ham and cheese or use less.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's