Hurry Up Baked Apples
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 16:57
Serving Size:1 apple half
Cost Per Serving:$.45
- 2 medium size tart apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortland, Jonathan, Fuji)
- 1 teaspoon white or brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons (total) raisins, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or other nuts
- 1 container (6-ounces) low fat vanilla yogurt
- Cut apples in half lengthwise. Use spoon to remove cores and hollow out a space 1" or more deep. Arrange apple halves, cut sides up, in microwavable dish. Cut thin slices off bottoms to keep from tipping.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, and nuts. Fill each apple half with sugar mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Fold back one edge 1/4" to vent steam.
- Microwave 3-3 1/2 minutes or until apples can be cut easily. Remove from microwave. Let sit a few minutes.
- Spoon yogurt over the top.
- These are great as a dessert, as a snack, or for breakfast.
- Fresh apples keep best in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu