Holiday Fruit Salad
Submitted by taylork on Sun, 04/08/2012 - 20:28
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Cost Per Serving:$.35
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 small package) dry sugar free favored gelatin (any favor/color)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (optional)
- 1 or 2 packets noncaloric sweetener or 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 4 cups fruit (cut up) (apple, orange, kiwi, banana)
- Optional garnish: Pomegranate seeds
- Stir cornstarch and gelatin together in a small saucepan for sauce. Add water and stir to dissolve. Add the orange juice and, if desired, the lemon or lime juice.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil. Stir constantly to prevent sticking and burning.
- Gently boil for 1 minute. Cool completely. Stir in sweetener or sugar, if desired.
- Arrange fruit on plates and pour sauce on top. Or pour cooled sauce over cut up fruit in a bowl and stir to coat.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- You can use this recipe throughout the year by choosing different gelatin flavors and fruit combinations.
- Try fresh, canned, or frozen fruits, such as pineapple tidbits or chunks, peaches, pears, apricots, and/or berries.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu