Healthy Hash Browns
Submitted by taylork on Tue, 11/06/2012 - 15:35
Serving Size:3/4 cup
Cost Per Serving:$.50
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable)
- 4 cups Best Baked Potatoes (skins on), diced
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and chopped into 1/4" pieces)(about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep 12" skillet over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, and minced garlic (if using) when the oil is hot. Cook about 5 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip or stir and continue cooking a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- You will need to bake 4 potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) for this recipe.
- A nonstick skillet works best. Less oil means fewer calories, but the hash browns will not get as crispy and they may stick to the skillet.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu