Ham & Brown Rice
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 08/06/2012 - 13:58
Serving Size:1-1/2 cups
Cost Per Serving:$4.75 for whole recipe / $0.79 per person
- 1 14-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chopped ham*
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas
Optional: 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, combine broth, ham, and garlic. Heat to boiling.
- Stir in rice and black pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover; add peas and cook about 4 minutes more until rice is tender and peas are hot.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top if desired. Serve immediately. If desired, this recipe is easy to double and freeze, so you’ll have extra for a future meal.
Menu Idea: Ham & brown rice, lettuce salad, pudding
- To lower sodium, substitute cooked lean pork for the ham and omit the parmesan cheese.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's