Ham & Brown Rice
- 1 can (14 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked ham*, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas
Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Combine broth, ham, and garlic in a skillet. Heat to boiling.
- Stir in rice and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover. Add peas and cook about 4 minutes more until rice is tender and peas are hot.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, if desired. Serve immediately.
- *Substitute cooked lean pork for the ham and omit the Parmesan cheese to lower sodium.
- Double the recipe and freeze the extra for a future meal.
Add spices or herbs to season food without adding salt.