Garbanzo Bean Soup
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 13:56
Serving Size:1 1/4 cups
Cost Per Serving:$.51
- 1/2 onion (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots (about 12-15 baby carrots)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole-wheat pasta (rotini, shells, etc.)
1 small zucchini, sliced (about 1-2 cups sliced)
- Wash, peel, and chop onion. Peel and mince garlic cloves.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic, and cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and water to saucepan. Stir in garbanzo beans, carrots, and seasonings.
- Cook on medium high heat about 5 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and zucchini. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer about 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- This recipe tastes better the next day.
- Did you know ... garbanzo beans and chickpeas are the same thing?
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's