Easy Stuffed Pasta Shells
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 19:32
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 12-ounce carton lowfat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (save 1/2 cup for topping)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 26-ounce jar lite tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 8-ounce package uncooked large pasta shells
- Wash hands.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Drain spinach by placing in a sieve set over the sink, or in a bowl and pressing with a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible, or squeeze out liquid with clean hands. Place spinach in medium bowl.
- Add the cottage cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, oregano, and pepper to the spinach. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour half of the spaghetti sauce into prepared baking dish. Add water and stir to mix.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons cheese mixture into each uncooked pasta shell and arrange in a single layer over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese evenly over sauce.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour or until shells are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Try this recipe for a potluck or make-ahead dinner. If desired, refrigerate the ready-to-bake casserole.
- To lower sodium, use a reduced sodium spaghetti sauce.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu