- 1 can (14.75-ounce) salmon, drained
- 1 egg
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, shredded, or 5 saltine crackers, crushed
- 3 green onions (including the green stems) or 1/3 cup white onion (chopped fine) (about 1/3 medium onion)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning (paprika, chili powder, or dill weed)
2 teaspoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- Remove any large bones and skin from salmon. Break salmon into chunks with a fork.
- Break egg into a large bowl. Whisk with fork. Add salmon, bread or crackers, onion, garlic, pepper, and additional seasoning. Mix gently.
- Form into 6 patties about 1/2" thick.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place patties in skillet. Leave skillet uncovered. Cook 3 minutes. Turn over patties with a spatula. Cook the other side 3-4 minutes to a temperature of 145° F. Serve immediately.
- Move the patties as little as possible so they don't break apart.
- Patties can be frozen for 2-3 months before or after cooking.
Refrigerator leftover patties up to four days. Patties will not be as crisp.