Submitted by taylork on Mon, 08/06/2012 - 14:54
Serving Size:1/3 cup
Cost Per Serving:$1.92 for whole recipe / $0.16 per person
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash salt
- 3 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or other nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or other dried fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a large shallow baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Put egg whites in large bowl and use a whisk or fork to mix until frothy. Stir in honey, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
- Add oats plus nuts and/or dried fruit, if desired. Stir until oats are coated with egg mixture. Spread oat mixture evenly on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake about 25 -30 minutes until golden brown. Stir mixture carefully every 5 or 6 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Remove pan to wire rack and cool completely until crispy and crunchy. Store in airtight container. Freezes well.
- Watch How to Make Homemade Granola http://goo.gl/bsde0j
- Either old fashioned or quick cooking oats work. Both are whole grains.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu