Cranberry Oatmeal Bars
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 19:05
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup orange, pineapple, apple, or cranberry juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup margarine, softened (about 10 1/2 tablespoons)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Wash hands.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine the cranberries and juice in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Beat the brown sugar and margarine together with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well blended.
- Beating the eggs adds lightness and volume to the bars.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in cranberry mixture and nuts, if desired. Spread the dough evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until the center is set. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting.
- This is a great snack cake. Package bars in sandwich bags for take-and-go snacks or breakfast bars.
The quick oats are a whole grain and the juice and dried cranberries provide fruit. Try this with raisins if your family likes them.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's