Submitted by taylork on Wed, 01/01/2014 - 13:50
Serving Size:1 tortilla with 2/3 cup filling
Serves:6 (makes 4 cups filling)
Cost Per Serving:$1.23
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 whole wheat tortillas, 8-inch
- Optional Toppings:
- 6 ounces low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Freeze chicken 30 minutes until firm and easier to cut. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch strips. Place in a single layer on a plate. Wash hands, knife, and cutting board. Sprinkle both sides of strips with chili and garlic powder.
- Add oil to a 12-inch skillet. Heat to medium high. Add chicken strips. Cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bell peppers and onion. Stir and cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink. (Heat chicken to at least 165°F).
- Scoop chicken mixture ( 2/3 cup each) onto tortillas. Top with your favorite toppings.
- Serve flat or rolled.
- Use 1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained, rinsed), beef, or pork instead of chicken.
- Use corn tortillas instead of whole wheat.
- Heat cold tortillas to make them easier to fold. Cover tortillas with a moist paper towel and heat 30 seconds in microwave.
- Wear plastic gloves to handle hot peppers. No gloves? Wash hands with soap and water before touching your face, your cooking utensils, or another person.
- 3 cups pepper = 2 medium peppers
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's