Chicken Club Salad
Submitted by taylork on Tue, 04/09/2013 - 19:41
Serving Size:3 cups
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat small pasta, such as macaroni or rotelle
- 6 cups well washed and torn romaine lettuce or spinach
- 2 cups chopped fresh vegetables (green pepper, celery, cauliflower florets, cucumber, carrots)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked skinless chicken (one half pound skinless, boneless poultry)
- 1/2 cup lowfat Italian dressing
- 1 hard cooked egg (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese or cheese crumbles
- Wash hands.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and cool.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the romaine in each of 4 large bowls or plates.
- Combine chopped vegetables, chicken, and pasta.
- Add dressing; toss lightly to coat. Divide evenly among the 4 bowls.
- Top each serving with a few egg slices, if desired, and 1 tablespoon of the shredded cheese.
- Pick vegetables that are plentiful at the farmers’ market or grocery. If desired, combine the cooked pasta, chopped vegetables (except tomato), cubed chicken, and dressing
- Store in a covered container and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. To serve, stir in the chopped tomato and spoon over romaine.
- Learn how to prepare hard cooked eggs to top off this salad.
Try to buy chicken breast when it’s on sale (often they are half as much as regular price) and put some in the freezer. Look for “whole wheat” or “whole grain” pasta in the supermarket. It will be a darker, tan color, have a robust wheat taste, and sometimes a chewier texture. Two ounces of whole wheat pasta has 20 fewer calories and 4 grams more fiber than the same amount of regular pasta.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu