Cheesy Pasta with Summer Vegetables
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 16:49
Serving Size:1 1/2 cups
Cost Per Serving:$1.07
- 4 cups assorted vegetables, sliced (zucchini, broccoli, peas)
- 1 cup grape or fresh tomatoes (chopped and seeds removed)
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) whole wheat pasta (rotini, bow tie, penne)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash and prepare vegetables and tomatoes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain water from cooked pasta and save 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet as pasta cooks. Add garlic and onion to skillet. Sauté over medium heat about 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add any uncooked hard vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Add soft vegetables and continue to cook. Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes last and cook until warm.
- Add cooked drained pasta to the vegetables. Add a little of the water from the pasta, if needed.
- Add cheeses to mixture. Stir until cheese is mostly melted.
- Serve immediately.
- Pasta and cheese may help picky eaters enjoy vegetables. Vary the flavors and colors.
- Add protein to this dish by stirring in cooked beans, meat, or fish.
- Use thawed frozen vegegetables in this recipe.
- Keep pasta on hand and use when you have extra vegetables.
- Use this recipe for a quick, delicious, and nutritious meal.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu