Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) low sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (8")
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut chicken breast into 4-5 chunks. Simmer in a large saucepan with water and chili powder. Cook until internal temperature is 165° F (about 10 minutes).
- Remove chicken from pan. Shred or cut into small chunks and return to pan. Add beans, corn, and salsa to saucepan. Cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 9"×13" pan.
- Spread any leftover chicken mixture over the top of the enchiladas.
- Bake at 375°F for 12-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the enchiladas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Wash hands with soap and warm water before and after working with raw chicken.
- Complete steps 1 and and 2 the day before you plan to serve. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Assemble enchiladas, cook, and serve.
- Divide the enchiladas into 2 pans. Wrap and freeze half of them for another meal.
Learn how to prepare dry beans.