Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Bake
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 16:40
Serving Size:1 enchilada
Cost Per Serving:$.79
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (15-ounce) low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup 2%-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut chicken breast into 4-5 chunks. Simmer in a large saucepan with water and chili powder. Cook until internal temperature is 165° F (about 10 minutes).
- Remove chicken from pan. Cut or shred into small chunks and return to pan. Add beans, corn, and salsa to saucepan. Cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam-side down in greased 9×13 pan.
- Spread any leftover chicken mixture over the top of the enchiladas.
- Bake at 375°F for 12-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the enchiladas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve immediately.
- Wash hands with soap before and after working with raw chicken.
- Prepare ahead by doing steps 1 and 2 the day before you plan to serve. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Assemble, cook, and serve.
- Divide the enchiladas into 2 pans. Wrap and freeze half of them for another meal.
- Learn how to prepare dry beans.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu