Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon onion or garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- 6 to 8 drops hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)(optional)
- Heat water to boiling in 3 quart saucepan. Add broccoli. Cover and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Pour broccoli onto a dinner plate or cutting board (water will have cooked away). Set aside.
- Combine flour, onion or garlic powder, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add margarine to saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add flour mixture and stir with whisk or fork until well mixed.
- Gradually stir in milk. Stir constantly with whisk to keep sauce smooth. Cook over medium heat (stirring or whisking a few times) until thick and bubbly (about 4 to 5 minutes). Cut broccoli into pieces while milk mixture is cooking.
- Add broccoli to sauce and turn heat to low. Add cheese slices. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately. Add hot sauce to taste if desired.
- Use frozen mixed vegetables, frozen peas, or chopped cooked potatoes instead of broccoli.
Adapted from University of Georgia