Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Submitted by taylork on Mon, 08/06/2012 - 14:15
Serving Size:3/4 cups
Cost Per Serving:$1.60 for whole recipe / $0.40 per person
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder or garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- Optional: 6 to 8 drops hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Heat water to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add broccoli. Cover and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour broccoli onto a dinner plate or cutting board (water will have cooked away); set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, onion, or garlic powder, and pepper.
- Add margarine to saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add flour mixture and stir with whisk or fork until well mixed.
- Gradually stir in milk, stirring constantly with whisk to keep sauce smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring or whisking a few times, until thick and bubbly, about 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut broccoli into pieces.
- Add broccoli to sauce and turn heat to low. Add cheese slices. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately. If desired, add hot sauce to taste.
Menu Idea: Cheesy broccoli soup, fruit, crackers or whole grain bread
- Use frozen mixed vegetables, frozen peas, or chopped cooked potatoes instead of broccoli.
Adapted from University of Georgia
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu
- How To's