After School Hummus
Submitted by taylork on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 16:25
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Cost Per Serving:$.27
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Use a blender or food processor. Combine garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, oil, and pepper. Blend on low speed until the beans are mashed.
- Stir in yogurt with spoon.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight so the flavors blend.
- Serve with pita chips, crackers, or fresh vegetables.
- Mash the beans with a fork, chop garlic finely, and then stir ingredients frequently before adding to the blender.
- Store the hummus in an airtight container int he refrigerator. Use within 2-3 days.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped red pepper.
- Hummus packs a lot of protein and fiber. Let your kids dip raw veggies, crackers, or pita chips into this healthy snack.
- Learn how to make your own homemade pita chips.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Menu