Serving Size:1 open-face sandwich
Cost Per Serving:$.86
- 1 cup peppers (red, yellow, or green) (1 medium)
- 1/2 onion
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup spinach leaves, rinsed
- 4 slices (3/4 ounce each) mozzarella cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
- Slice onion and pepper very thin.
- Lay out 4 slices of bread. Spread with the mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Add in layers the spinach leaves, peppers, onions. Add a slice of cheese.
- Heat a skillet to medium low. Spray with cookingspray. Lay sandwiches in skillet. Cover with plate, lid, or aluminum foil.
- Heat sandwiches until cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes) or until the bottom is golden brown. Serve.
- You can use other cheeses, but mozzarella is lower in fat and melts well.
- Add other vegetables such as mushrooms or tomatoes.