Special Care for Special Foods
Ground Beef and Poultry
- Store in coldest part of refrigerator.
- Use within one to two days (or freeze).
- Rewrap if original package is destroyed or damaged.
- Place on a shelf under prepared foods in refrigerator to prevent drippings from cross-contaminating foods that will be served uncooked.
- Stuff poultry just before cooking.
Hot Dogs and Luncheon Meats
- Store in original vacuum-sealed package for up to two weeks.
- Once opened, rewrap well and use within three to five days.
- Use hot dogs no later than one week after the "sell-by" date on package. If liquid around hot dogs becomes cloudy, discard them.
Eggs and Egg-Rich Foods
- Do not buy cracked or dirty eggs.
- Fresh eggs will keep in the refrigerator about five weeks.
- Avoid serving raw eggs or foods containing raw eggs.
- Keep eggs refrigerated at a temperature no higher than 40°F.
- Do not keep raw or cooked eggs out of the refrigerator longer than two hours.
- Do not wash eggs before storing or using them.
- Refrigerate hard-boiled eggs and use them within one week
- Avoid freezing mayonnaise-based foods--separation will occur.
- Use mayonnaise within two months after opening jar.
- Mayonnaise contains lemon juice or other acid flavoring agents and salt. This combination acts to retard bacterial growth, thereby increasing the resistance to spoilage.