Become a Dubuque County Master Gardener
MASTER GARDENER TRAINING 2016
Becoming a Master Gardener has many benefits. In addition to gaining horticulture and gardening knowledge through our training program, our Master Gardeners have made lasting friendships, learned new skills and practices, had the opportunity to teach, and get the privilege of being a part of a highly esteemed organization in our community.
“My knowledge is valued by others that I share it with.”
“I have become a composter!”
“I enjoy giving back to the community and helping others.”
“I have made life long friends.”
The charge for the class is $195 including all sessions and materials (if registered by the deadline of August 1st, 2016). Late registration fee is $245. All first-year Master Gardeners who complete their requirements and 40 hours of service will get a Master Gardener polo shirt and name badge.
September 6th-November 15th
September 6th, 2016 at 6:00pm: Master Gardener Training Orientation
- This will cover introductions and what is expected in the weeks ahead.
September 13th, 2016 at 6:00pm: Core Training begins
- Classes will be held Tuesdays at sites around Dubuque beginning at 6:00pm. Workshops will last from 1-2 hours depending on topic and instructor.
October 8th or 22nd: ISU Class on Campus
- Master Gardener trainees take a field trip to Ames, Iowa for a day to study horticulture with Iowa State University professors and staff and other Iowa Master Gardener trainees.
November 15th, 2016, 6:00pm: Final Core Training Class
- 40 hours of volunteer service begins, interns are paired with a Master Gardener mentor to help acheive this requirement and align with gardening projects of interest.
August 1, 2016- Application deadline for core training
August-September- Interviews with Master Gardeners, background check submission, and acceptance into the program
The tentative detailed training schedule for 2016 can be found HERE. (Last updated August, 2016)
Counties Main Menu
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living