Managing Through Stress: A Livestock Information Event Is Feb. 4
AMES, Iowa – Iowa State University Extension and Outreach and Iowa Farm Bureau Federation are teaming up to deliver current market and management information to Iowa livestock farmers in these challenging times. The “Managing Through Stress: A Livestock Information Event” will be held Monday, Feb. 4.
The event starts at 10 a.m. with a morning general session delivered to 14 sites throughout the state via the Web. Farmers will hear from leading experts on livestock and feed price outlook and strategy, weather outlook, financial strategies and managing the stress of farming in challenging times. After lunch, each site will have local presentations geared toward the challenges faced by a specific species of livestock – beef, swine or dairy. Afternoon sessions will be facilitated by ISU Extension and Outreach livestock specialists.
“This information is vital for Iowa farmers right now because they are making 2013 livestock business decisions and there is a lot on the table for them,” said Ed Kordick, IFBF commodity services manager. “Those who come to the ‘Managing Through Stress’ event can hear nationally noted experts give advice on a variety of issues, including the looming feed supply and 2013 costs.”
Morning presenters are Chad Hart and Lee Schultz, economists with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach; Elwynn Taylor, ISU Extension and Outreach climatologist; and Dr. Mike Rosmann, ag behavioral health psychologist. Hart and Schultz will present 2013 feed and livestock price outlooks and strategies, while Taylor will give the weather outlook. Rosmann will speak about indicators of human stress.
The seminar is free to farmers; there is no registration required. More information can be found at www.iowafarmbureau.com, on the ISU Extension and Outreach calendar, or by contacting IFBF commodity services manager Ed Kordick at email@example.com.
Seminar locations and afternoon focus at each location
- Borlaug Learning Center, 3327 290th St., Nashua — Swine
- Buena Vista County Extension Office, 824 Flindt Dr., Storm Lake — Swine
- Carroll County Extension Office, 1205 West US Hwy 30 Ste G., Carroll — Swine
- Delaware County Extension Office, 1417 N. Franklin St., Manchester — Dairy
- Guthrie County Extension Office, 212 State St., Guthrie Center — Beef
- Jefferson County Extension Office, 2606 W. Burlington Ave., Fairfield — Beef
- Mahaska County Extension Office, 212 North I St., Oskaloosa — Swine
- Marion County Extension Office, 210 N. Iowa St., Knoxville — Beef
- Plymouth County Extension Office, 251 12th St. SE, LeMars — Beef
- Postville YMCA, 313 West Post St., Postville — Dairy
- Sioux County Extension Office, 400 Central Ave. NW Suite 700, Orange City — Dairy
- Tama County Extension Office, 203 W. High St., Toledo — Beef
- Washington County Extension Office, 2223 250th St., Washington — Swine
- Wright County Extension Office, 210 1st St. SW, Clarion — Beef and Swine
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living