"Mondays in March" Gardening Series
It Starts with the Soil
This series of talks are provided for the public to give them information about gardening topics. Each lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m. at Our Savior Lutheran Church at 116 Guetzko Court in Manchester. The Delaware County Master Gardeners ask for a $2 donation to cover the cost of bringing in these speakers.*
Please listen to KMCH (94.7) for weather announcements.
Wanted: Shady Characters (Hostas and Their Companions)
Speaker: Josh Spece, owner of "In the Country Garden and Gifts", now on the Quasqueton Diagonal
Josh is knowledgeable in growing and propagating hostas. He is also well versed in growin pond plants and companion shade plants. Jost will speak on successful plants to grow for difficult shade areas of the garden.
Know Your Plants, From the Ground Up
Speaker: Keith Kovarik, owner of K & K Gardens in Hawkeye
Keith is knowledgeable in landscape design and growing plants. He will share his expertise on gardening success with perennials, trees, and shrubs.
Herbs in the Garden Plot and Cooking Pot
Speakers: Sara Selchert, garden manager, landscape designer and gardening coach at Ace Hardware in Dubuque
Betty Kruse, former owner of Betty's Bread Basket and Tea Room, Manchester
Sara is knowledgeable in all areas of plants and design but this talk will focus our attention on herbs. How do we grow them and how do we use them in the kitchen?
Fairy Gardens with a Tinkerbell Touch
Speaker: Heidi Tietz, owner of Peterson & Teitz Florists and Greenhouse in Waterloo
Heidi is knowledgeable in all areas of propagation, growing and using plants in a home or yard. In this presentation Heidi will teach us how to build some unique fairy gardens and give us ideas that will inspire us to build our own.
What is Up with Ash Trees and the Emerald Ash Borer?
Speakers: Todd Fagan, Arborist for the City of Cedar Rapids
Mark Shour, Entomologist with ISU Extension and Outreach
Doug Foley, Manchester's Parks and Rec Director and Co-chair of the City Forestry Committee
Larry Schmidt, Manchester's Street Superintendent and Co-chair of the City Forestry Committee
Areas of the presentation will include
- Ash Tree Identification
- Treatment guidelines for tree injection and soil drench applications
- Spread of the Emerald Ash Borer
- What have the cities of Manchester and Cedar Rapids done so far
- What are the future city plans
- What are some recommended tree replacements
- Questions from the audience
* Please note: there will be no cost to attend the March 31st forum. The Delaware County Master Gardeners are presenting this in conjuntion with the City of Manchester to inform the public about this problem.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living
Each Monday in March
Our Savior Lutheran Church
116 Guetzko Court
* No cost to attend the March 31st forum on Emeral Ash Borers