Delaware County History added to 4-H Blog
Delaware, Cherokee, Pocahontas and Poweshiek counties have added to Iowa 4-H History by County, a blog detailing the history of Iowa State University Extension and Outreach 4-H Youth Development. The history blog is a partnership of the Iowa 4-H program and the Iowa 4-H Foundation.
According to the 4-H online History:
- In 1919, the first 4-H clubs were organized in Delaware County. Ninety boys were enrolled in the clubs, and 21 boys completed projects that year.
- By the mid-1920s, the objectives of both the boys and girls clubs in Cherokee County were to develop rural leadership and a keener appreciation of rural life. Clubs spread throughout the county during the '20s and '30s, but were still project-specific.
- 4-H has been the guiding force for many Pocahontas County youth. They often share fond memories of club meetings, fair activities and life learning experiences.
- The idea for Girls Clubs in Iowa was started in 1917 by the United States Extension Department in Ames, and was sponsored by the Farm Bureau. Poweshiek County was a pilot area for girls club work.
View the full history on the blog, at http://www.iowa4hfoundation.org/4hhistory.
Over the next two years, 4-H staff and volunteers will be reviewing additional county 4-H histories, with two to four being published on the blog each month, said Shelly Greving, marketing director for the Iowa 4-H Foundation.
“We hope 4-H alumni and current members alike use this site as a living history of 4-H. So far we have histories posted from 33 counties, with many more in progress. We encourage 4-H members, alumni, volunteers, leaders and staff to add their comments and continue the history of 4-H, sharing the many facets of each county’s 4-H program,” Greving said. “Individuals also may choose to continue the legacy of 4-H by making a donation to directly impact Iowa 4-H or their county 4-H program.”
Those who wish to support 4-H in their county may make a donation to their county 4-H endowment through the Iowa 4-H Foundation, http://www.iowa4hfoundation.org.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living