Registrations Open for Statewide 4-H Camps
“4-H camp is like a learning laboratory where kids get to explore the outdoors, and be creative and active,” said Bill Beckley, Iowa 4-H camping program specialist. “Kids can enjoy nature in a safe environment at 4-H camp.”
Statewide themed camps and dates
Four special-themed 4-H camps for young people in grades 5-8 in the 2013-14 school year will be held at the 4-H Center near Madrid. Youth attending the statewide camps will learn about the special theme of the camp, live in a camp community for five days and four nights, and enjoy traditional camp favorites like swimming, canoeing, hiking, climbing and campfires.
- State 4-H Leadership Camp, June 14-18 – Strengthen skills in team building, group leadership and community leadership – then return home and put these skills into practice in your community.
- 4-H Veterinary and Animal Science Camp, June 28–July 2 – Dig deeper by observing animals, learning about normal animal behavior and applying what you learn. Get on track for a career in animal or veterinary science.
- 4-H STEM Catalysts Camp, July 6-10 – Become a catalyst for change by exploring robotics, alternative energies and science of motion; see how science and technology are used in nature and everyday life. Explore STEM related careers.
- 4-H Healthy, Green and Growing Camp, Aug. 2-6 – Make healthy lifestyle choices like using fresh fruits and vegetables and getting regular exercise by learning about sustainable gardening practices and how to prepare fresh produce.
Iowa State University faculty will enrich the campers’ experience by contributing to the educational components of the camps. “The contributions of Iowa State researchers and faculty will give middle school youth in-depth experiences with the camp topics,” Beckley said. “At the same time campers will enjoy all the aspects of camp – the outdoors, recreation and social interactions.” Camp activities are led and supervised by Iowa State 4-H staff and trained adult and teen volunteers.
Online registration is open
The camps are open to students in grades 5 – 8; 4-H membership is not required. Registration for the statewide camps can be made online at www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/camping.
The fee for each session (five days/four nights) is $240, which includes all meals, lodging and special programming costs. Additional information about themed camps is available on the camping website as State Camp FAQs. Contact Bill Beckley at email@example.com with questions about registration and for more camp session information.
Summer camp staff positions
Applications also are being taken for college-age students who would like to work at 4-H camps this summer. Information about the jobs available at the Iowa 4-H Center is found at www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/camping.
Like all 4-H programs, Iowa 4-H camping is focused on the 4-H outcomes of developing productive citizens, outstanding communicators, effective leaders and successful learners. Visit www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/camping to learn more about the Iowa 4-H Camping program.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living