Frequently Asked Questions About Drought

Iowa State University Extension specialists have compiled this list of answers to frequently asked questions to help you deal with drought. Click on the tabs below to find questions and answers related to: Crops, Livestock, Home and Yard, and Financial Concerns.

This page will be updated as additional questions and answers are available.

Return to Dealing with Drought Web page.


  • Crops
  • Livestock
  • Home & Yard
  • Financial Concerns



Ask a question about crops through the Crops Watch Blog.


Livestock Concerns

Ask a question about livestock through the Iowa Beef Center Blog.


Home & Yard

Ask a question about home and yard through the Hortline Call 515-294-3108 (10 a.m. to noon and 1-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday) or Direct vegetable questions to Iowa Vegetables blog

  • Coping with Drought-Affected Private Water Supply Wells — January 2013
  • Horticulture Needs during Drought – July 20 webinar questions and answers
  • Question: Is my county under a burn ban, and what does that entail?
    Answer: You can find a list of counties under burn bans on the State Fire Marshal's website. This includes when the ban went into effective, when it was rescinded, and who requested and lifted the ban. Iowa Code 100.40 defines what is allowed, but any questions should be directed to your local county government: "A proclamation issued by the state fire marshal pursuant to this section shall not prohibit a supervised, controlled burn for which a permit has been issued by the fire chief of the fire district where the burn will take place, the use of outdoor fireplaces, barbecue grills, properly supervised landfills, or the burning of trash in incinerators or trash burners made of metal, concrete, masonry, or heavy one-inch wire mesh, with no openings greater than one square inch."


Financial Concerns

Ask about farm financial concerns through the Ag Decision Maker blog. Ask about family financial concerns through the MoneyTip$ blog. Contact Iowa Concern Hotline: 800-447-1985 for help and referrals for dealing with stress, crisis and loss in times of disaster.

Farm Finances