- Coordinate education programs and services for beginning farmer efforts statewide.
- Assess needs of beginning farmers and retiring farmers.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver targeted education to beginning and retiring farm families.
- Provide programs and services that develop skills and knowledge in financial management and planning, legal issues, tax laws, technical production and management, leadership, sustainable agriculture, human health and the environment.
Future plans for the center
- Continue the Ag Link program that links beginning farmers with farmers desiring to transition their farms to the next generation.
- Continue the Returning to Farm Seminar for farm owner/operators and their business successors.
- Continue supporting the individual farm financial analysis for beginning farmers through the Extension Farm Financial Planning Program.
- Conduct targeted research to on farm business succession planning, the needs for beginning farmers and other relevant topics.
- Provide educational materials to beginning and exiting farmers through a variety of methods including the internet, seminars, and publications.
Preparing the next generation of farmers in Iowa
Watch this short video on the next generation of farmers in Iowa