Food Safety and Postharvest Handling Workshop a Guide to Wholesale Success
AMES, Iowa – A postharvest handling and food safety workshop for fruit and vegetable growers is planned by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. The free workshop will be March 8 from 8:30 a.m. to noon in the Memorial Union Oak Room on the Iowa State campus in Ames. The workshop also will be broadcast to 12 host locations throughout Iowa.
Wholesale Success: A Farmer’s Guide to Food Safety, Selling, Postharvest Handling, and Packing Produce is for fruit and vegetables growers, including farmers' market members, school and community garden participants, and other local foods stakeholders.
“How fresh produce is handled after harvest has a critical impact on its shelf life, quality and safety,” said Angela Shaw, Iowa State University food safety assistant professor and workshop host. “The workshop will look at tools, techniques and philosophies for proper handling at each step of the Cold Chain – harvest, cooling, cleaning, drying, storing and transporting.”
Atina Diffley, a former co-owner of Gardens of Eagan and a Midwest Organic and Sustainable Education Service board member, will speak at the workshop. Diffley will draw on her years of experience in vegetable production and marketing to provide growers with useful, practical and profit-making guidance on how to achieve the highest quality of sale.
In addition to the Iowa State campus location, the workshop will be hosted at these Iowa locations:
- Benton County Extension Office - 501 1st Avenue, Vinton
- Buchanan County Extension Office - 2600 Swan Lake Boulevard, Independence
- Council Bluffs - 2700 College Road, Council Bluffs
- Dubuque County Extension Office - 14858 West Ridge Lane, Dubuque
- Henry County Extension Office - 127 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant
- Jackson County Extension Office - 201 West Platt Street, Maquoketa
- Jefferson County Extension Office - 2606 West Burlington Avenue, Fairfield
- Johnson County Extension Office - 3109 Old Highway 218 S., Iowa City
- Louisa County Extension Office - 317 Van Buren, Wapello
- Northeast Iowa Dairy Center - 1527 Iowa 150, Calmar
- Ringgold County Extension Office - 101 North Polk Street, Mount Ayr
- Woodbury County Extension Office- 4301 Sergeant Road, Sioux City
To register, visit http://bit.ly/T6mCNU . Participants will receive a free copy of the FamilyFarmed.org’s Wholesale Success Manual, the recently revised 312-page manual that contains workshop materials.