Reply to comment
- Iowa 4-H’ers produce over 17 million pounds of meat each year, which all goes into the American food supply.
- Consumers expect a safe, high quality food product.
- 4-H’ers need to know the food production rules and follow them exactly.
What is FSQA?
- The Iowa 4-H Food Safety and Quality Assurance (FSQA) program focuses on seven Good Production Practices that help ensure the safety of the food you produce.
- 4-H’ers in the Swine project have been doing this for years – It was called PAQ II (Pork Quality Assurance).
- When 4-H’ers meet the 4-H FSQA certification, they also meet the Beef Quality Assurance and Pork Quality Assurance certification.
Who Needs FSQA?
- All youth selling livestock at the Allamakee County Fair: beef, sheep, swine, poultry, rabbit or goats.
- All youth Exhibiting dairy at the Allamakee County Fair.
- All youth exhibiting livestock at the Iowa State Fair.
How do I certify for FSQA?
- Junior 4-H’ers (grades 4-6) must attend a certification program every year to be FSQA certified.
- 4-H’ers in grades 7-9 have the option to test for certification at their age level. The certification is good until the 4-H’er is in 10th grade. At that time he/she will need to test for certification at the Senior level.
- 4-H’ers in grades 10-12 have the option to test for certification at their age level. The certification is good until the 4-H’er graduates.
When and Where do I certify for FSQA?
TWO trainings have been scheduled for Allamakee County, Preregistration is required:
Thursday, May 8 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Farmers & Merchants Savings Bank
Saturday, June 14 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. at the Allamakee County Farm Bureau Office
What if I want to test out?
- Tests can be taken at the Extension Office during office hours, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, please call 563-568-6345 to make arrangements.
- You need to receive 70% to pass.
- You may take up to 3 tests in one day.
Counties Main Menu
- County Home
- About Us
- 4-H & Youth
- Agriculture & Environment
- Business & Community
- Families & Healthy Living