- Organic Transitioning - From an Economic Viewpoint... - November 2016
- Fearless Farm Finances - PFI Annual Conference - January 2013
- Organizing basic financial information: balance sheet, income statement, understanding cash flows...
- Enterprise Budgets: Which part of your business is or is not making money...
- Workshop Exercise
- Workshop Exericse - with answers
- How much for one egg - Midwest Value Added Ag Conference - December 2012
- Improving Profitability - MOSES Organic Conference - February 2012
- Local Food Systems and the Local Food and Farm Program – IFVGA - January 2012.
- Alternative Cropping Systems - Comparison to a Conventional C-SB Rotation - Marsden Farm Research - PFI annual conference - January 2012
- Organic Transitioning - Making the Transition - January 2012
- Local Food Systems - Why Local? Why Now? - Iowa Farm Bureau - December 2011
- Local Food Systems - Overview & Connections to Iowa Famers Union - December 2011
- Using financial records...to answer all sorts of questions you or others may have... - Iowa Valley RC&D - January 2012
- Using partial budgets - MOSES workshop - December 2011
- Planning for Profit - MOSES workshop - December 2011
- Organic-Conventional Economic Comparison
- Organic-Conventional Comparison
- Corn-Soybean Budget
- Organic Budgets
- Making the Transition from Conventional to Organic
- Developing Enterprise Budgets
- Economic Analysis of Three Rotations -- PMR 1001
- Iowa Vegetable Production Budgets -- PM 2017
- Muscatine melon: A case study of a place-based food in Iowa
- Let the vineyards be fruitful: A study of the potential market for Iowa grape juice
Areas of Expertise
Business Planning and Business Start-Ups, Insurance and Risk Management Tools and Techniques, Organic and Food-Based Alternative Agricultural Enterprises, Regional Food Systems, Sustainable Agriculture and Water Quality Issues, and Whole Farm and Enterprise Financial Analysis and Decision-Making.
PhD., Rural Sociology, Iowa State University, 1994
M.S., Agricultural Economics, Iowa State University, 1980
B.A., Economics/Accounting, University of Northern Iowa, 1978
University Extension Achievement Team Award - Educational, 2009
University Extension Achievement Team Award - Organizational, 2009
University Extension Achievement Team Award - Educational, 2008
University Extension Achievement Team Award - Educational, 2007
University Extension Achievement Team Award, 2004
University Extension Achievement Team Award, 2003
University Extension New Professional Award, 1993
University Extension Achievement Team Award, 1993
Authored/Co-authored Publications: 13 refereed journal articles, seven presented papers/book chapters, 49 departmental/extension/professional papers.