On-farm Visits Generate Profits

Virgil Schmitt, Crops Field Specialist, Southeast
 

Problem Statement: 

From time to time during the growing season, producers, dealers, and private consultants encounter situations in the field that either baffle them or cause disagreement among the parties involved.
 
Programmatic Response: 

Individuals with crop expertise for the Land Grant Universities have long worked both with groups and individuals in providing education relating to crop growth and development, crop culture, and pest management.  More and more, these universities are relying on private industry to act as multipliers in providing this education to the producers.  However, this means that individuals in private industry need education and support from the universities, both to help them do their jobs better and to help educate the producers.  A part of this education and support comes in the form of visits to producer fields.  Initially, Extension field visits were most important to the success of individual producers, but now they have also become critical to the success of ag-related business.
 
Impact/Outcome: 

The 2005 growing season generated 81 requests for field visits.  Of those, 44 (54%) were at the request of dealers who either were at a loss to explain the occurrence in the field or whose customers had requested a second opinion; the remaining 37 (46%) were at the request of producers.  All resulted in an identification of the (potential) cause(s) of the phenomenon and of courses of action to be taken.
 
Surveys were sent to the producers and dealers with whom a face-to-face contact was made during a field visit.  Of those, twenty-six responded, with the responses being evenly divided between dealers and producers.
 
All producers indicated they were either satisfied or very satisfied with the promptness and usefulness of the information they received.  All indicated the information was up-to-date and communicated effectively.  Producers indicated an average value of the visit to be over $11 per acre; the average size farm was 620 acres, creating a value of over $6,800 per visit.  If that number is extrapolated over 81 visits, the result is a value of over $550,000 for all visits combined.
 
All dealers were either satisfied or very satisfied with the promptness and usefulness of information received.  They all indicated it was up-to-date, and all but one was either satisfied or very satisfied with the effectiveness of communication.  Dealers indicated an average value of the visit of $35 per acre, which is over triple the value perceived by producers, and would, if extrapolated over all farms, generate a value of over $1,750,000.
 

March 10, 2006
142 - Integrated Pest and Crop Management

Page last updated: July 9, 2006
Page maintained by Linda Schultz, lschultz@iastate.edu