Crop Advantage Series Participants Indicate Average Value of Attending Conference Was Over $10,000 Each

Jim Fawcett, Extension Field Agronomist, Southeast Area

Problem Statement:

Agriculture is rapidly changing, with new technologies and new markets being introduced every year. Crop producers must keep up with the changing technologies in order to stay competitive.  One problem with traditional winter crop production programs is that it is not possible to offer all of the topics that are of interest to crop producers and agribusiness professionals in the area. There are also producers with different levels of knowledge and experience, making it difficult to know which groups to target.

Programmatic Response: 

A Crop Advantage Series conference was conducted in Cedar Rapids in January, 2008 to offer a wide choice of workshops to teach crop producers as well as businesses that serve crop producers about the various aspects of crop production and protection. Participants could choose three workshops to attend from the twelve that were offered. Topics offered included pest management, digitized soil survey, the bio-economy, grain storage, fertilizer recommendations, marketing crops, soybean row spacing, and early season corn problems.

Impact/Outcome:

About 250 crop producers and other agricultural professionals attended the conference, with about 70% being crop producers and the other 30% being crop consultants, retailers, company agronomists, and others. Ninety-five per cent of the evaluations rated the meeting as good or excellent.  The average value placed on the information received by the attendees was $17.31 per acre, with the average respondent managing 721 acres (N=119). This suggests that for a price of less than $50, the average attendee got a value of over $10,000.

Comments received included:

Well worth the time and money. Helpful information for my farm.
The best overall meeting since the program started.
Excellent. Keep printing the proceedings. A very good job.

April 15, 2008

100  Corn and Soybean Production and Protection

Page last updated: April 16, 2008
Page maintained by Linda Schultz, lschultz@iastate.edu