Heifer Development Series Focuses on Reproductive Technologies
AMES, Iowa — With the cow herd at its lowest level since 1973, drought in the southern range states and optimism for increased export demand, the stage is set for heifer retention increases into the next few years. To aid in this process, Iowa Beef Center (IBC), Iowa State University (ISU) Extension and Outreach and the Iowa Cattlemen’s Association are working together to host a series of heifer clinics over the next few weeks.
The series focuses on currently available technologies and management to increase productivity and longevity of heifers. Specific topics include health protocols, ration recommendations, heifer development budgets, AI practices and synchronization recommendations, and reducing calving difficulties. Ultrasound demonstration and Q&A also are part of each session.
Cost is $15 per person which includes resource materials and meal. Contact and registration information is included for each location. Preregister by date shown for the desired location to ensure adequate material and meal count.
Session dates, times, locations
- Jan. 25, Rockwell City, Expo Building at Calhoun County Fairgrounds, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Register by Jan. 18 by calling 712-297-8611 (snow date Feb. 1).
- Jan. 26, Iowa Falls, Ellsworth College Equestrian Center, 6 p.m. Register by Jan. 18 by calling 641-923-2856.
- Feb. 6, Spencer, Clay County Regional Events Center at Clay County Fairgrounds, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Register by Jan. 30 by calling 712-262-2264 (snow date Feb. 8).
- Feb. 7, Postville, Postville Vet Clinic, noon to 4 p.m. Register by Feb. 1 by calling 319-472-4739.
- Feb. 7, Richland, Keokuk County (formerly Richland) Veterinary Clinic, 6 p.m. Register by Feb. 1 by calling 641-472-4166.
- Feb. 7, Stuart, Stuart Vet Clinic, 6 p.m. Register by Feb. 1 by calling 641-203-1270.
- Feb. 9, Chariton, ISU McNay farm, 6 p.m. Register by Feb. 1 by calling 641-203-1270.
- Feb. 9, Maquoketa, Jackson County Extension office, noon to 4 p.m. Register by Feb. 1 by calling 319-472-4739.
- Feb. 9, Bloomfield, Bloomfield Livestock Auction, 6 p.m. Register by Feb. 1 by calling 641-472-4166.
A listing of all series session dates, times, locations and contact information also is available on the IBC website.
Additional series sponsors are ABS Global, Accelerated Genetics, Elanco Animal Health, Genex, Hawkeye Breeders Service, Innovative Ag Services, Land O'Lakes-Purina, Nichols Cryo-Genetics, Pfizer Animal Health, Quality Liquid Feeds, Select Sires and Stuart Veterinary Clinic-Ultrasound Services.
Site specific sponsors are Collison Embryo, Collison Veterinary Services, Innovative Ag Services, Maquoketa Embryos, Novartis Animal Health, Postville Vet Clinic, Spencer Ag Center LLC, Spencer Livestock Sales, and Valley Veterinary Center, PLC.
Agriculture and Natural Resources Menu
- Field Specialists
- Natural Resources
- Yard and Garden