Beef: Byron Leu
Areas of Expertise
- Specialist in production and management systems for beef and sheep producers.
- Management areas include: ration development, performance and financial projections, facility design, genetic improvement, pasture and forage management, enterprise record analysis, value-based livestock production, carcass evaluations, and public policy issues related to livestock production.
Livestock producers, veterinarians, agribusiness representatives, lenders, youth livestock participants, media, USDA and other public staff.
Joined ISU Extension
- Livestock Field Specialist, 1986-present
- Production agriculture, 1976-1985;
- Swine Farm Manager, 1975-1976
Industry Leadership Roles
- Cow Herd Improvement Program Services (CHIPS)—Program coordinator, 1992-2002
- Cornbelt Cow/Calf Conference—Program chairman, committee member, 1986-present
- Master of Science, Iowa State University, Animal Science, 1975
- Bachelor of Science, Iowa State University, 1970
- ISU Extension Excellence in Agricultural Extension Programs Award, 2008
- ISU Epsilon Sigma Phi State Distinguished Service Award, 2005
- ICA Iowa Commercial Producer of the Year Award (CHIPS Program), 2003
- ISU Extension Meritorious Service Award, 2001
- ISU Extension Team Achievement Award, 2001
- ISU Extension Epsilon Sigma Phi Meritorious Service Award, 1996
- ISU Extension Achievement Award, 1994
- ISU Extension New Professional Award, 1990;
- Phi Kappa Phi and Gamma Sigma Delta academic honor societies.
- Co-author of four Animal Science Research reports
Agriculture and Natural Resources Menu
- Field Specialists
- Natural Resources
- Yard and Garden